It’s the time of the year when we pick the best Gmail fax services of 2018! In this article you’ll find out what our recommendations are and learn how to choose the best online fax plan for your office.
What Is a Gmail Fax Service?
Online fax services allow you to send and receive faxes without needing a fax machine. You can do it all from your computer or using a mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Faxing is all done through your email, so when we mention Gmail fax services, we are talking about those companies that offer the best compatibility with the popular Google email service.
Nowadays we can find a significant number of online fax services, but not all of them are the same. They not only vary in their plans, but they also vary in quality. Choosing a dodgy online fax service will end up costing you more money as well as time, so it’s always best to stick to the top providers.
What Can I Do with an Online Fax Service?
You can take care of pretty basic faxing functions such as sending and receiving faxes, and also advanced ones such as fax scheduling and mobile integration. Let’s take a look at the features you need to look for in an online fax service.
- Fax by Email. Say goodbye to your old fax machine. The main feature about these services is that they let you send and receive faxes as if they were simple emails. The fax-to-digital document conversion allows you to communicate with a fax machine without hassle. You can also send different types of file formats as fax, including common ones such as PDF, DOC, TXT, JPG and XLS.
- Fax using your smartphone. Have you ever needed to send or receive a fax while away from your office? It’s in those situations when we could use the help of our cell phone. Well, there are services offering smartphone apps for iOS and Android that not only help us receive fax on the go, but also let us compose and sign new faxes using digital tools.
- Schedule faxes. This way you can set a fax for later. Fax services allow you to set the time and date you want to send a fax. Once this is done, you can forget about it. If the service finds a problem during the transmission, it will retry sending your fax until it is successful. After the process is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email in your inbox.
- Connect to the cloud. Fax your documents that are stored in cloud storage services like Google Drive or Dropbox. This new way of faxing lets you have all your documents accessible from a virtual storage space. From within Gmail, you can also attach Drive documents in your faxes.
Top 3 Gmail Online Fax Services
These are the companies that offer the best integration with Gmail. All of them are good alternatives with a robust set of features for novel users as well as experienced ones. Given that each one of these fax services offer something for different types of users, we have opted to list them in no order.
RingCentral is a company with years of experience in the field of online faxing, always betting on new features and adding integration with other online tools. We have been using RingCentral for years and have never been let down. The service is reliable and offer plans for all types of users/offices.
Their plans start at $12.99, and includes 750 pages of fax per month, but they also offer customized plans for bigger companies. Among the features they offer you can find: local and toll-free fax numbers in USA, Canada and UK; a mobile fax app, and integration with their Office plan (for an additional fee), which also includes VoIP.
eFax now counts with millions of users around the World. This is a service that is backed up by j2 Global, one of the biggest companies in the field of telecommunications. The monthly price for eFax is higher than other alternatives, but it makes up for it by including advanced features and super-fast fax servers.
Plans start at $16.95 per month, which lets you fax 150 pages per month. Among the features it includes are: a mobile fax app (currently the best one in the market) and local/toll-free numbers in different countries. But what sets is apart form other options is its reliability.
MyFax is a smaller company than the other ones in this top 3, nevertheless, they also have years of experience in digital faxing. They now offer local numbers in more than 40 countries around the World, as well as a competitive price for a subscription.
Their plans start at $10 per month, including 300 pages per month. This is an excellent alternative if you are looking for international availability and ease of use. Just like the other two alternatives, MyFax offers an easy to use mobile app and integrates seamlessly with Gmail.
Tips for Choosing an Online Fax Service
Here you will find some tips that will help you choose the best service for your company:
- Keep away from services that charge you “hidden fees”. With so many alternatives at our disposal, there’s no need to pay installation fees or other hidden charges with an online fax service. Keep your eyes peeled, as there are companies that advertise very low prices and then they make up for it with these types of fees.
- Try before signing up. The majority of services offer free trials, which usually last for 30 days. First-hand experience is the best way to find the right service. Some companies will ask you to enter credit card information to open your free account, but they will only charge you if you don’t cancel your account before the month has passed.
- If besides sending faxes you want to also receive them, make sure your plan comes with a free virtual fax number. Don’t worry, the three services we have listed in this page let you both send and receive documents.
- Make sure to choose the right fax number when you link it to your Gmail account. As we said before you can find local and toll-free numbers, but there’s an additional option. If you already have a fax number, you can port it to the Internet, with a process that takes some days to complete. Just know that once you’ve done that, your number will only serve to receive faxes.